Daniel G. Stafford
Daniel G. Stafford is the founder and managing member of Stafford Financial Consulting Group LLC., a financial and benefits consulting firm based in Madison, Wisconsin. A graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Stafford successfully merged his firm with Virchow Krause & Company. Wisconsin’s largest public accounting firm and the nation’s 12th largest. Mr. Stafford became President/CEO & Equity Shareholder in Virchow Krause & Company’s Financial Services Group. Currently Virchow Krause & Company, now known as Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP, has offices in Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, Washington D.C., & Madison. In 2009 Mr. Stafford purchased the Asset Protection Group and formed Stafford Financial Consulting Group, LLC.
Stafford has served as an expert witness to a publicly held company and has supervised benefit and healthcare strategic planning for governmental and private entities. Employer groups of between 25 and 13,000 employees have utilized his expertise. Focusing on the “client needs” Stafford has successfully reduced costs, streamlined administration, enhanced efficiency, and created vendor transparencies, including the following:
- Reduced administration costs for a 3,000 person employer group by 1 million annually
- Reduced reinsurance costs for a government self-funded entity by $1.6 million annually
- Renegotiated broker compensation agreements (on behalf of the employer by several millions of dollars over several years
- Renegotiated broker compensation agreements (on behalf of the employer) by several millions of dollars over several years
- Structured performance and quality assurance agreements to enhance service performance and increase productivity
- Developed transparency and disclosure models to create a value-added environment by raising service expectations
- Successfully built a compensation service and review process to audit vendor services
- Created a third party administration survey, questionnaire, and quality assurance tool for self-funded employers
- Successfully implemented a third party administration reduction project for a 27 member coalition of employers with 13,000 combined self-funded employees
- Created a co-sourced risk, administration, HR, compensation, and health care advisory group for 80 medium sized employers to leverage their combined employee count (Advantage Plan)
- Successfully delivered a drill down modeling tool for self-funded health plans in order to better evaluate claims data, processing, and cost control strategies
- Designed and implemented successful strategic planning guides for health care and employee benefit planning
- Acquired rights to an actuarially sound web-based PPACA financial impact tool for businesses with 50-2500 employees
President, CEO, Equity Partner / Virchow Krause Baker Tilly, Chicago, IL / 1997-2010
- Responsible for the growth and development of the employee benefits, insurance, risk management, asset protection group practice at the 12th largest consulting and CPA firm in the world
- Hired, trained, and lead the group to become the largest fee-based practice group in the Midwest
- Grew the revenue from $600,000 to $12 million while assets under management reached $1.1 billion
- Qualified plans and Health & Welfare plans exceed 1500 plans
- Individual Life Insurance in force at $2,000,000,000 including over 100 Trust plans
Executive Vice President / Stafford Waller & Co Inc. / 1981-1997
- Cofounded and responsible for business management and development of the consulting and insurance brokerage firm
- Provided technical and advanced planning for individual and business entities in the areas of benefit management and estate and succession planning, including product procurement and analysis, professional advisory review, and planning execution
- Built consulting and advisory group to monitor and provide compensation oversight management
- Qualified for life membership of the Million Dollar Round Table
- Co-founded Portfolio Strategies (RIA) Firm with excess of $1,000,000,000 assets under management
- High net worth planning for individuals and businesses. Including Business Succession
- Expert witness testimony and advisory planning management
- Asset protection and assessment review of insurance contracts and performance
- Employee benefit consulting and vendor oversight management
- Broker, agent, advisor, consultant, oversight of compensation, project management
Mr. Stafford has provided expert witness testimony for Wisconsin’s largest law firm (Foley & Lardner).
Mr. Stafford has and continues to advise businesses and business leaders of many sizes. As an insurance planning financial consultant and risk advisor he has worked with companies with one billion or more in sales and estates ranging from one million to one billion.
Upon the May 29th, 2009 sale of his Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP business interests Mr. Stafford acquired the Asset Protection Group from the firm and continues to serve existing clients and new clients throughout the country.
Mr. Stafford is an avid reader (best book – Atlas Shrugged), sportsman (fishing), community supporter (United Way), and he is active within his church.